Practical Nursing Program Description
The program is designed for the student seeking licensure as a practical nurse in Florida. Healthcare employment opportunities are available in long term care, home health, hospitals and outpatient settings. Clinical experience is provided at local extended care facilities, hospitals and other community agencies. Job title: Licensed Practical Nurse.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses.
Florida licensed practical nurses are eligible for admission to Daytona State's accelerated associate degree in nursing for the LPN program. Classes admitted in January and August at the Daytona Beach Campus and in January at the DeLand Campus.
Please Note: This program is eligible for federal financial aid and state bright futures.
Advanced Technology College
1770 Technology Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32117
(386) 506- 4140
Daytona Beach Campus
1200 West International Speedway Boulevard
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
1155 County Line Road 4139
DeLand, FL 32724
2351 Providence Boulevard
Deltona, FL 32725
Flagler/Palm Coast Campus
3000 Palm Coast Parkway SE
Palm Coast, FL 32137
New Smyrna Campus
940 Tenth Street
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Additional Admission Requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
• Scores on the Daytona State placement test for vocational programs which indicate language, reading and arithmetic ability at the 11th grade level or better.
• Cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better.
• Program Prerequisite: HSC 1000 (Introduction to Health Care) and BSC 1080 (Basic Anatomy and Physiology for Health Careers). Courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
• Completion of the Nurse Entrance Test-PN at the 41st percentile or better in each category (mathematics, reading, and overall composite).
• Applications submitted May and September. Students will be accepted based on specific admission criteria. There will no longer be a waiting list. Students must apply each application cycle until accepted based on the selection process.
• Completion of health screening to include: recent physical examination; verification of immunization against tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella and Hepatitis "B"; and negative test for tuberculosis.
• Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers to include adults, infant, children, and automatic external defibrillator (AED) affiliated with the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
• Satisfactory results of a Florida Department of Law Enforcement background check.
• According to Florida Board of Nursing, convicted felons who have had their civil rights removed are not eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses.
• Students will be held accountable for the policy and procedures of the nursing program as outlined in the nursing student policy handbook, as well as the college student handbook.
• Readmission and transfer nursing courses must have been taken within one year and evaluated by the nursing readmission and transfer committee. Limited space is available for transfer nursing students.
Licensed Vocational Nurse working conditions
What is the typical salary for a Licensed Vocational Nurse ?
How do I prepare for the job?